CM Magazine: The Little Math Puzzle Contest
The Little Math Puzzle Contest
Tom Murray, the coordinator of the the math puzzle, has been kind
enough to give CM permission to run the weekly Little
Math Puzzle Contest (inspired by The Great Canadian Trivia
Royal West Academy (a high school) in Montreal, Quebec
is sponsoring a little math puzzle contest.
This contest is open to all participants but is designed for students in
grades five through ten. English will be the language used for all problems
and if their solutions relate to a language, the language will be English.
This will be the last question before Christmas we will start up again when
school begins in January. Have an enjoyable holiday.
You can find archives of old questions and winners lists on our web page. We
have lost the winners list for the second puzzle and would be pleased to have
it forwarded to us from anyone who still has it.
We can also be found on the Web at:
Each week a new puzzle will be presented and the answers and winners from
two weeks earlier will be posted.
Answers are to be received by 8:00 a.m. eastern time the following Friday.
The answers will then be judged, and a correct answer, along with the
winners' names, will be posted with the puzzle two weeks later.
Both individual students and entire classes are welcome to participate.
Do not to send your answers to CM.
Instead, please send
all answers to Andrea Pollock and Alex Nazarov at the following
With your solution please include your names, school, grade, and
e-mail address, and your city.
Question #13 from two weeks ago was the following:
What are the next two numbers in the set?
30, 27, 9, 12, 9, 3, 6, 3, 1, ___, ___
The values are 4, 1
The values change with a pattern in the operations with 3:
-3 /3 +3 -3 /3 +3 -3 /3 +3=4 -3=1
The Winners - Solvers of Puzzle #13
- Mrs. Harris's 4/5 class
St. Margarets Ont.
- Mme. Keith's gr. 9B and 9C - Sussex Junior High
- Steven Weerdenburg - Mrs. Robertson's Gr. 3
Gregory Hogan School - Sarnia, Ont.
- Frank Spano - Mrs. Pitt's class
Gregory Hogan - Sarnia, Ontario
- Halina Waverchuk's Group 3 Math class,
Venture High School, Montreal.
- Marcheta Gallant's Math Classes 9-1 and 9-3.
Labrador City Collegiate - Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador
- Grade 6A students
L. E. Reinsborough School, Dalhousie, N. B. Canada
- Chris Machado grade 8
Gregory A. Hogan school.
- Grade 9 Math Class
Oyen Public School
- Mrs. C. Ager's Grade 7/8 Class
St. THerese's School - Sarnia, Ont.
- Chris Zamrykut, Chris Sklepowich Grade 10
Dauphin Regional Comprehensive Secondary School - Dauphin, Manitoba, Canada
- T. Burnie's Grade 7/8 class
St Ann School, Toronto, Ontario
- The Junior Enhanced Learning Class of Mrs. Marilyn Bruton
Ellwood Memorial Public School - Bolton, Ontario
(submitted by Don Brown, Principal)
- Abby Stimson, Grade 9
Dalhousie Regional High School
- RJ Gough, Matt Lindhout Grade 7
Horse Lake Elementary School - 100 Mile House, B.C.
- Ryan Cook, Vincent Spano, Evan Powell, Andrew Bain
Ms. L. Laudonio's grade 5 class
Gregory A. Hogan School - Sarnia, Ontario
- William Heppel, Shawn Proctor - Grade 6
St. Joseph School, Huntingdon, Que.
- 6D - Ecole St.Avila
- John Gamble, Katharine Gasbarini - Grade 8 Mrs. Delorme's class
Gregory Hogan School - Sarnia, Ontario
- Meagan Edwards, Sosie Beurklian - Mrs. Valenzuela's class
Sherwood Secondary School
- Kevin Cull, Steven Peckham, Kevin Waterman, Debbie Foley,
Grant Wells, Chris Burke, Glen Winsor - Ray Smith and his students
Ken Woodward, Hollywood Rd. Middle School, Kelowna, BC
- Grade 8 Math Class
Hedges School - Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Mike Scheiers grade six.
Cathcart Public School - Sarnia, Ont
- Mr.Burger's Grade 7 class
St.Therese school - Sarnia ,Ontario
- Nick Jacob 12 yrs. old gr. 7
- Shannon Pronk G6
Mcadam Aveune School in - Fredericton ,N.B.
- Lisa Ing, Katie Mills, Adam Gaudry, Alida Pokoradi, David McFarland
Mr.Czerneda's Grade 6
C.H.Bray School - Ancaster
- Gabrielle Kern, Kurtis Nelson, Shannon Trainor, Sara Lavoratore, Paul Murray, Keith Lyon, Sam Villeneuve, Adrienne Donkers, James Timmington
Mr. J. Cowley's 6TH Grade class.
Sacred Heart Elementary School - Sarnia, Ontario
- Andrew Timmers, Peerke Aarts - Mr. Van Lieshout's Grade 7/8 class
St. Peter Canisius School - Watford, Ontario.
- Daryl Johnson, Danny Weiss in Ms.Robinson's Grade 4/5 Class
- Ashley Parise, Kristen O'Donnell from Mrs.Hamilton's grade 7-1 class
Florenceville middle school. - Florenceville N.B.
- Scott Harris, Michael shynkaryk, Grade 7
Camilla School - Riviere Qui Barre, Alberta
- Mandy Dizon, Michelle Halsall - Mrs. Quinn-Vaillant's Grade 8
Our Lady of Mercy School - Sarnia, Ont.
- Jane Scaplen's grade 6 French Immersion class
Sacred Heart Elementary - Mrystown, Newfoundland
- Carla Sadler in 8C, Erica Synnott in 9D, Mrs.
Bunn (our Kindergarten teacher) and Mr. Korsunsky
(junior high language arts and social studies teacher).
- Carl, Claira, Kim, Steven - Grade 5
Sheridan Public School - Oakville, Ontario
- Diana Picanco, Nicholas Martiniuk
Mrs. T. Ridland's students
Our Lady of Mercy School, Sarnia
- Jason Stein (6W), Ka Ying Ching (8C) - Onward to Excellence
Yorkhill Elementary School - Thornhill, Ontario
And the unspecific
- Rudi, Jordan, Erika, Andrew and the rest of
Mr. Davis's grade five class.
- Jennifer Kerel - grade 9, math (Mrs. Miller's)
- Greg Robertson 81, Ryan Neil 81
email@example.com (Lawrie Key)
This week's Question #15 is the following:
What are the next two letters in the sequence?
F, M, A, M, J, ___, ___
Send your response by 8:00 a.m., Friday, December 22nd to:
Andrea Pollock and Alex Nazarov
Royal West Academy, Montreal West, Quebec.
Copyright © 1995 the Manitoba Library Association.
Reproduction for personal use is permitted only if this copyright notice is
maintained. Any other reproduction is prohibited without permission.
The Manitoba Library Association
Go back to CM Welcome page
Go back to Table of
Contents for this Issue